Fetes in Godstone started in 1943 and were held in the grounds of Godstone Court (now demolished and developed into Court Road and Dewlands) and raised funds for the Royal British Legion.
In the 1950s the local Legion, led by John Vaughan, moved the annual August Bank Holiday fete to the Green where it has been held each year since.
The present Fete, complete with spectacular seven race donkey derby, loads of stalls, a very popular dog show, burgers and hot dogs served up by the Caterham, Oxted and Godstone Lions Club, the local baptist church cafe raises funds for village organisations, provides a venue for village societies to raise money for themselves, and provides much fun and entertainment for the public.
Organisations wishing to become beneficiaries of the Fete must apply in writing to the committee by the end of April preceding the Fete. They are expected to take an active role in helping run the event. Since 1985, over £100,000 has been given to beneficiaries and good causes, including a safety play area for children on the Green and a defibrillator at the nearby Orpheus Centre.
More information about Godstone Village can be found at
Photos by kevin black show some of the sights of this year’s Godstone Fete, donkey derby and dog show which attracted hundreds and hundreds of people to the village.